Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Garlic Cilantro Lime Slaw – ready in about 30 minutes and loaded with flavor and texture. SO YUM!
for the garlic cilantro lime sauce
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 2-3 cloves garlic (less if you’re sensitive to garlicky things)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
for the shrimp tacos
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 1 teaspoon each chili powder, cumin, and southwestern seasoning (see notes)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- 2-3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1-2 avocados
- Cotija cheese and additional cilantro for topping
- lime wedges for serving
- Pulse all the sauce ingredients except the sour cream in a food processor. When mostly smooth, add the sour cream and pulse until combined. Taste and adjust as needed. Set aside.
- Heat a drizzle of oil a large skillet over medium high heat. Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels and sprinkle with the spices. Add the shrimp to the hot pan and saute for 5-8 minutes, flipping occasionally, until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Toss some of the sauce (not all) with the cabbage until it the cabbage is coated to your liking. It should resemble a coleslaw – you want it to be enough sauce so the cabbage is weighed down a little bit. Use leftover sauce on top of the tacos or in other recipes.
- To serve tacos, smash a spoonful of avocado on the tortillas, top with a few pieces of shrimp, top with coleslaw, and finish with Cotjia cheese, cilantro, and lime wedges.
For the three spices, I used chili powder, cumin, and a store bought southwestern seasoning mix. I would say the chili powder and the cumin are must-haves for the color and flavor, but then just add whatever else you like or have in your spice cabinet from there. If you don’t have a seasoning mix that’s salted, be sure to add salt and pepper.
For a variation, try frying the shrimp using the beer batter instructions in this recipe. Takes more time, but SO good!